Welcome to the
Adele Corner House
206 East Biddle Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21202
contact Philippe Havincourt-Carre' firstname.lastname@example.org
Provenance of 206 Biddle
This Second Empire grand house was built by Sarah and Solomon Corner for their socialite Daughter Adele. The Corners, who were wealthy Baltimore merchants, built a country home at Biddle and Calvert Streets in 1877 after the demolition of the John Eager Howard mansion. In 1885 they built a pair of mirror image houses adjacent to their country home. Adele chose the house with the Eastern view of the Jones Falls River valley. The architecture is attributed to John Appleton Wilson and the pair of houses were constructed of brick and brownstone featuring second floor balconies, carved reliefs of the North Wind, demi-lune arched windows of geometric stained glass and demi-lune floating staircases. It has been said that The Duchess, and her mother Alice Warfield, took tea at the house when she lived at 212 Biddle as a young woman.
Duchess of Windsor Museum*
interviews include BBC America, WBAL TV, Baltimore Style Magazine, The Baltimore Sun, Maryland Public Television, Baltimore City Paper and The Duke and Duchess of Windsor Society Journal
Opened in June 2005 and is on tour through appointment with Philippe. We do not keep public hours. This private collection features numerous framed newspaper clippings from the time of the abdication in 1936 until the Duke of Windsor's death in 1972 and includes items that the Duke and Duchess owned, a library, coronation souvenirs, a display of The Duchess' replica jewelry, French ephemera and tabloids of the time. The collection was designed to stress the impact of the Duke and Duchess on the world fashion industry.
*Member of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor Society, www.ddows.org
Previous event sponsors included; PNC Bank, Midtown Development Corp. Inc., Jubilee Baltimore, Inc., Baltimore Heritage, Inc., Healthy Neighborhoods, Inc.,
One can never be too rich or too thin. 63915